This spicy pasta dish takes easy weeknight dinners to the next level. Healthy, deliciously satisfying and as always, 21 Day Fix approved.
Do you see that gorgeous piece of fish right there? My handsome husband brought that home for me like any good caveman should. Caught it with his bare hands, too! <– just kidding 😉
Ok, so lemme tell you a little something about Alaska (or at least South Eastern Alaska, where I am) that I didn’t know until I got here. When we lower-48ers think about the AK, we think mostly that it involves lots of snow, ice, Sarah Palin, maybe some igloos, and definitely pretty, pink salmon. While all of those things are surely very Alaskan (except the igloos), something super important is left out of the general conversation, and that’s halibut*(!) which is caught and enjoyed all summer long before the salmon come out to play.
For anyone who hasn’t had halibut before, it’s a mild, firm whitefish. If you’re down with cod, you’ll be down with this. It goes beautifully in practically any dish. I can personally attest to this fact since I’ve eaten it in every restaurant in town in almost every way you could imagine. In fact, eating halibut all over Seward is what gave me the idea for this dish. Basically I hadn’t seen in town and I wanted it! Sometimes a girl just needs some spicy pasta, you know what I mean? And when you’re a girl living in Alaska, why would you make your Fra Diavolo with anything else??
So aside from the fact that the hubs plucked this fish straight from the ocean just for me (because romance) there are plenty of other awesome things about this recipe that will apply to you, if say, your husband doesn’t have easy access to the Pacific Ocean. Such as:
- If you don’t play around, you could have this dish done in 30 minutes or so
- Aside from boiling the pasta, everything is made in one large sauté pan (forget you, dishes, you’re dead to me!)
- Making your own Fra Diavolo lets YOU control the heat level
- The ingredients are ones that you can easily have on hand at all times, making this dish a fantastic last minute option (having seafood in the freezer is the BEST answer to “Oh crap, what are we going to do about dinner?”) – My Baked Asian Tilapia Stir Fry is a shining example of this, check it out!
- Oh, and did I mention that it’s damn delicious and goes well with a
bottleglass, I mean a glass of wine?
I know you guys are going to love this one and I love the idea of getting to share my Alaskan experience with you through tasty food 😉
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
*There are actually about a million other freaking awesome things about Alaska that I didn’t know until I got here, but I’m trying to stay on point for this post, ya know? Anyway, I’m sure I’ll be getting to those at a later date, TBD.