This healthier version of Starbucks’ Chile Mocha is the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter morning!
Hey all! How are all the things? Still have lots of shopping to do? Cookie baking, dinner planning, etc? That’s usually me at this stage of the game, but not this year! I’d be proud, but really I was just so nervous about things shipping everywhere on time (well, mostly shipping here, because Alaska) that I got pretty much all of my shopping done before December even showed it’s holly jolly face. No worries, though, our Advent calendar activities are keeping
me us mighty busy this year 🙂
Oh! Did I tell you guys that we got our first REAL Christmas tree ever last week?! Yes!!
Here are a couple random thoughts I have on this whole real Christmas tree situation:
- Getting a tree in Alaska is the BEST. THING. EVER. No tree farms here, folks (not that there’s anything wrong with that) – you go out and literally find yourself a tree and cut it the hell down like you’re a freaking BA lumberjack. (btw, we don’t really have to talk about how the trunk is like 3 inches wide and you could probably cut it down with a steak knife, because that’s beside the point, right?)
- I have no idea how to decorate this thing. Like seriously, no idea. It’s kind of… sparse, so when I tried to hang lights on it, it looked like it was covered in cords… ugh, it was so bad. We ended up taking the lights off and just hanging ornaments… it looks pretty, but it feels less Christmas tree-like without the lights. I’m going to have to figure something out for next year, because this no lights business has me like ? – Also, I’m missing my amazing friend, Cindy, because I totally would have had her over figuring it out for me 🙂 If anyone has had this issue and solved it, let me know what you did (and please don’t say “just live with the cords because I just can’t)!
Will we continue to do this? Definitely as long as we’re in Alaska. I think we’ll reevaluate after that, but I’m glad we’re all experiencing it here 🙂
And hey, off topic, have you heard that I made you a recipe? I know, you’re not just here for me to chat you up 😉
Recently when I was at my grocery store (which has a ‘bucks inside) I saw a sign for their seasonal Chile Mocha. I knew that it was my duty, to try that coffee for you (and remake it, 21 Day Fix style). That’s just the kind of dedication that I have. I took one for the team, because Christmas. And I’m in love. So in love! Move over PSL, there’s a new winter warmer in town and you’re old news. Ya know, until next September when I’ll be making this like my freaking life depends on it.
Seeing as how we just had a HUGE snowstorm blow through a good bit of the country and there’s definitely a chill in the air, I’ve really been craving spicy everything. I don’t know about you, but when the weather really starts to get bitter cold, the first thing I want is a big ol’ bowl of comfort-y soup with a kick, nothing can warm you through and through better! Same goes for this delicious coffee. It’s the perfect drink to warm you up if it’s too early in the day for hard liquor or soup. Just sayin’.
Oh, and did I also mention that this lovely cup of happy is only 37 calories versus the 200-ish calories in the Starbucks version of the same size? Yep.
**A quick ingredient note: McCormick sells ancho chile powder in their Gourmet Collection (the ones in the glass bottles). If you’ve never tried it before, I think you’ll love it – since I bought my first jar, I’ve tossed it in a million different things. It doesn’t have quite as much heat as cayenne does, and it has a slight sweetness to it, in fact I’ve heard ancho chiles described as tasting like spicy raisins, and I think that’s pretty accurate. If you can’t find it (or don’t want to spend your hard-earned dough), you can sub in a little cayenne instead, nbd.
With all of this crazy weather, I thought it was the perfect time to share this Chile Mocha with you. Ok, so really any excuse that I can find to have chocolate in the morning is pretty much a win in my book (so, thank you snowstorm 😉 ). I hope you love it as much as I do!
- 8 ounces (1 cup) good, strong coffee, very hot
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 Tbs raw sugar
- 1/16th tsp cinnamon (about half of your 1/8th tsp)
- 1/16th tsp ancho chile powder (or more, to taste) - you can substitute cayenne, but I'd start with a pinch and work your way up, it has more heat
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Put all ingredients in a large coffee mug, use a milk frother (like the one below) to mix and froth. Warm up and enjoy 🙂
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1/4th of a teaspoon (if you choose to count that - if I'm only having one, I don't), 1 1/2 tsp sugar
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 2
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: entire recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37 Total Fat: 1g