This Cheesy Salsa Verde Corn is a quick and easy side dish that's perfect for a potluck! Bonus: it only uses four ingredients and it's gluten-free!
Hey guys! I know it's been a while, but the fam and I have been busy doing all the summery things, so it's been crazy over here. In fact, the only reason this post is coming at you this week is because my amazing hubs unexpectedly took the girls to work with him today. Ah! It's felt SO good to get a few things done (ya know, like go through my [literally] 1600 emails)!
Anyway, our last big hurrah of summer is this weekend (at least for us, our girls go back to school after Labor Day) and I'm so pumped to share this fun and super easy side with you. It's so perfect for a labor day (or any day!) potluck or barbecue. And don't you just love when four ingredients can come together in just minutes to make something special? This Cheesy Salsa Verde Corn is a little spicy, a lot flavorful and so... well, deliciously cheesy. Plus there's basically nothing better than using up that fresh sweet corn in the summah time 🙂
Ok, I'll answer a few questions you may have and then onto the recipe!
Can this Cheesy Salsa Verde Corn be made ahead?
Absolutely! You could totally prep this ahead of time, then the day of, throw it in the oven at 350° until hot. I would probably cover it with foil and remove the foil for the last few minutes to brown the cheese a bit, but that's up to you!
Can this corn side dish be frozen?
Yep, freeze away!
How do you prepare fresh corn for this recipe?
My favorite way is to cook it in the Instant Pot! (←affiliate link) I just put the trivet in the bottom of the IP, add a cup of water, then the corn and pressure cook on manual for 1 minute with a quick release. Then after I let them cool for a minute, I cut the kernels off with a sharp knife.
How to choose fresh corn on the cob at the store or market:
- Look for a bright green, tight husk. If it's dry and brown or appears to have any kind of mold, skip it.
- Look for brown and slightly sticky silks coming from the top (or tassels as they are sometimes called). If they are turning black and are really dry or really wet, avoid that ear.
- Gently feel the corn kernels through the husk, they should feel plump and not squishy. You should also be able to feel them going almost all the way to the top of the cob and there shouldn't be holes where kernels should be.
- Avoid ears that have small brown holes in the husk, as they're probably worm holes and nobody wants that.
Do I have to use fresh corn in this recipe?
No, you can definitely use frozen instead (just be sure that there isn't any added salt or sugar to your bag of frozen corn). I would skip the canned corn though, it's loaded with added salt!
What kind of Salsa Verde should I use in this Cheesy Salsa Verde Corn?
I highly recommend using my 21 Day Fix Homemade Roasted Salsa Verde for this recipe. It takes only minutes to make and it's so delicious and flavorful. The other bonuses to using this one is that you can control the heat level plus it'll save you SO much extra sodium versus a storebought version! Oh! And you can make extra for chips! However, storebought will also work in a pinch.
Is Cheesy Salsa Verde Corn healthy?
Yes! With lots of yummy veggies and a just a little bit of cheese per serving, this easy side is healthy and delish! It's also 21 Day Fix approved and is only 2 measly Weight Watchers Freestyle Points! Oh! And it's gluten-free, too!
Let's make this healthy corn side dish!
Need a little more inspo for this weekend's festivities? Here are a few other recipes that I love using fresh summer corn in: Instant Pot Crab and Corn Chowder, 21 Day Fix Mexican Street Corn Salad, and this 21 Day Fix Grilled Corn Salad.
And here is a HUGE post with tons of great recipe ideas for summer parties!
Hope you guys love this one!
If you make this Cheesy Salsa Verde Corn recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
- 2 ½ cups (about 1 lb) hot, cooked corn (frozen is fine!)
- ¾ cup salsa verde (for best flavor, try this easy roasted version!)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (plus some extra for garnish if you like)
- ¾ cup queso fresco, crumbled (divided)
- In a 2-quart casserole dish, stir together the corn, salsa verde, cilantro and half of the queso fresco (about ⅓ cup). Sprinkle the remaining queso fresco evenly over everything. You can eat it straight like this, but I like to melt the cheese a little by either putting it under the broiler for a few minutes or using my kitchen torch (which is what I did for these photos). You could even just pop it in the microwave for a minute to melt the cheese a bit. So easy!
- Sprinkle with a little extra cilantro and enjoy!
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1 Yellow, ¼ Green, ½ Blue
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 2
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.