This healthy Spinach and Artichoke dip for One makes a perfect snack that tastes super decadent but is really good for you!
When I talk to people about the 21 Day Fix, here is a question I’m often asked: “What do you eat for snacks? Can you have something other than fruit and nuts?” Yes! Fruit and nuts are great and all, but seriously, there are more ways than one to enjoy your 21 Day Fix and I’m always on the hunt for them!
Since I’m all about fixifying my family’s favorites, I’ll often flip through one of my recipe binders for a new idea. When I came across this one, I knew that I could give it a delicious overhaul and it could be something that I could eat EVERY DAY if I wanted to, instead of just every once in a blue moon.
Ya know, like the kind made with full-fat cream cheese, alfredo sauce (yes, sometimes there’s alfredo sauce in there!!) and served with deep fried tortilla chips and a side of guilt at, say… Applebees. Curious to know the stats on a serving of spinach and artichoke dip at Applebees?
Drumroll, please! …A whopping 980 calories and 60 grams of fat! Ugh. Now to be fair, it’s a decent size that you’ll probably share with a friend. In that case, it’s still 490 calories and 30 grams of fat. That’s a lot of fat, people, and not the good kind.
So here is my healthier version of Spinach and Artichoke Dip, served with pita chips and sweet bell peppers and not to toot my own horn but it’s pretty fantastic. Plus since it’s just one serving you can’t go overboard!
The main component of this dip (well, besides the obvious) is cottage cheese. That’s right, lowly, unassuming cottage cheese. Lowly no more! Around here, cottage cheese is held in high esteem and here’s my not-so-secret-anymore reason why: when you blend the crap out of it, it makes a pretty awesome cream cheese swap! I swear!
The other GREAT thing about this recipe is that you can fully assemble it the night before – or even days before (like on your prep day, if you’re into that. You should be. Prep day is where it’s at.) So go ahead, make a few at a time, but be sure to make an extra or two. I’ve found that if anyone in my family sees me eating this, they want some for themselves and mama’s not sharing. Sorry, my lovelies!
How to Make Spinach and Artichoke Dip for One:
For the dip:
- 5 Tbs blended low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 Tbs plain fat-free or 1% greek yogurt (or an extra Tbs cottage cheese)
- 1/4 cup frozen, thawed chopped spinach, squeezed dry in a kitchen towel
- 1/4 cup chopped artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 1 Tbs grated pecorino-romano or parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 Tbs shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
For the pita chips:
- 1 half of a whole wheat pita, cut into 4 triangles, then because of the pocket, they can be separated to make 8
- Cooking spray
- salt and garlic powder, to lightly season
Sweet bell peppers:
- 1/2 cup red, yellow or orange bell peppers, sliced thick for dipping
Make the dip:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the blended cottage cheese (be sure to blend, blend, blend until completely smooth!), greek yogurt, spinach, chopped artichoke hearts, pecorino and 2 tablespoons of the shredded mozzarella. Season with the black pepper and garlic powder. Taste. Add a pinch of salt if it needs it, depending on the cheese that you use it might not.
- Put in an oven-safe 6 - 8 ounce ramekin, top with the remaining mozzarella cheese (if making ahead, cover and refrigerate at this point,) place on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until heated through and the cheese on top has melted. If you've made this ahead, it'll take approximately 30 minutes in the oven.
For the pita chips:
- Place triangles on a baking sheet and spray both sides lightly with cooking spray. Season both sides with as much garlic powder as you'd like and a little bit of salt. Place in the oven with the dip when there is about 10 minutes left. Bake about 8-10 minutes, flipping once in the middle of baking time.
- Serve the dip with the pita chips and bell peppers, yum!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents: 1/2 RED, 1 GREEN, 1/2 BLUE, AND 1/2 YELLOW
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 4
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: entire recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 7.44g