This simple air fryer asparagus is flavored with lemon and pecorino cheese for a super easy, bright, delicious, and healthy spring/summer side dish! Gluten-free AND it’s perfect for 21 Day Fix and Weight Watchers!
Hey guys! How are all the things? I hope you’re enjoying some decent weather wherever in the world you are. Here on the cape, it’s still been pretty chilly, but we did almost hit 60 one day, so I’ll take it!
Of course, that felt like the best day ever in life, and isn’t that the beauty of spring? It’s a time where it really doesn’t take much to make us SO happy and I’m freaking here for it.
Anyway, are you still getting ready for Easter like me (it’s less than a week away!)? If so, then
a) plan to make this ridiculously easy and delish veggie side (also great with broccoli if you prefer, btw!) and
b) please let me direct your attention to these three great posts that will be super helpful:
- 21 Day Fix Easter Dinner Recipes – I just updated this one with tons of new recipes including my brand-spankin’ new Carrot Cake recipe and some cocktails perfect for an Easter brunch (like this gorgeous Lavender Gin Sour)!
- The Best 21 Day Fix Holiday Side Dishes (this one is conveniently separated into yellow and non-yellow sides for my fixers!
- Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Holiday Side Dish Recipes
Anyway, I’m currently pretending it’s much springy-er than it currently feels here with this super easy, super yum Lemon-Pecorino Air Fryer Asparagus. You guys, there’s really never been anything easier to make, it literally takes under 10 minutes and half of that is completely hands-off!
Without further ado, I’m going to answer some questions you might have and then show you how to make it!
When is asparagus in season?
Asparagus can be at the grocery store anywhere from February to June (though I usually don’t start seeing it at my store until late March).
How to choose asparagus:
The most important thing when choosing asparagus at the store is to make sure that the tips aren’t soft and mushy, they should be firm.
How to trim asparagus:
The woody end of a stalk of asparagus needs to be removed because it’s tough and just not great for eating. What’s great about asparagus is that when you go to snap the woody end off with your hands, it automatically breaks where the woody part ends, so you know it’s always in the right spot!
Sometimes when I’m in a hurry I will break one off with my hands and use my knife to cut the rest based on where that one broke (for example, if an inch broke off, I’ll cut about an inch off from the rest) – this isn’t quite as accurate as doing them all by hand, but it’s faster, so that’s up to you how you want to do it!
Hot tip: snapping asparagus spear ends is actually a really fun chore for kids, so hand it off to them and you won’t have to do it at all!
What does asparagus taste like?
I think asparagus tastes sort of like a cross between broccoli and snow peas, though I’ve also heard other people throw “artichoke” and “green beans” into the mix 🙂
It’s really SO delicious! After you try this super easy air fryer recipe, you should check out this Pesto Frittata with Asparagus and Goat Cheese from Carrie Elle and this super yum Instant Pot Shrimp Risotto with Roasted Asparagus from Confessions of a Fit Foodie!
Can asparagus be eaten raw?
It’s perfectly fine to eat asparagus raw, but personally I don’t think the taste and texture is ideal until you roast it (or cook it in the air fryer)!
How do I choose an air fryer?
A good tip that I was given was to pick the biggest capacity one you can find at a decent price that had decent reviews – that advice served me well!
This is the air fryer that I have and I love it!
If you’d like some more detailed advice on air fryers, check out “Which Air Fryer Should You buy?” from my friend Nancylynn at Confessions of a Fit Foodie!
Is Lemon-Pecorino Air Fryer Asparagus healthy?
Yes! This recipe is such a flavorful and healthy way to get your veggies in! While there is some cheese in this recipe, it’s really a small amount when divided per serving (and the serving is pretty big).
This recipe is also gluten-free, includes 21 Day Fix container counts and Weight Watchers points! (psst: this recipe is only 1 point!!!)
Can Lemon-Pecorino Air Fryer Asparagus be frozen?
Yep! It freezes great!
How to cook asparagus in the air fryer:
Spray asparagus lightly with olive oil.
Season with salt, pepper and lemon zest…
and half of the pecorino cheese.
Give them a toss to evenly coat, put them in your air fryer basket (it’s best to put them in one layer, but when I’m in a hurry I just throw ’em all in at once and it still turns out delish!), then top with the remaining pecorino and lemon slices.
Air Fry for 5-7 minutes ( or 10-12 minutes if using the oven).
If you guys give this Lemon-Pecorino Air Fryer Asparagus recipe a try, please let me know what you think!! You can leave a comment below or tag me on Insta @thefoodieandthefix. Or if you’re in my private Facebook group, I’d love to see a photo of your creation in there! I hope you enjoy ♥
Don’t forget to save this Lemon-Pecorino Air Fryer Asparagus recipe to Pinterest! ⇓
- 1 lb asparagus (about 40 spears), trimmed
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded pecorino (shredded on the small side of your box grater)
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat your air fryer at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. (Or if making in your oven, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by covering it with aluminum foil.)
- After you've zested your lemon (I just use the small side of my box grater for this - the same side that I grate my pecorino with), cut it in half, thinly slice one half into rounds and save the other half to squeeze a little extra lemon juice on at the end if you like.
- Spray asparagus lightly with olive oil spray. season with salt, pepper, lemon zest and half of the pecorino cheese, tossing to coat. Place in your air fryer basket or baking sheet if roasting in the oven (it's best to put them in one layer, but when I'm in a hurry I just throw 'em all in at once and they still turn out delish!), then top with the remaining cheese and the lemon slices.
- Depending on the thickness of your spears, cook in your air fryer for 5 - 7 minutes or in the oven for 10-12!
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1 Green, 1/4 Blue
Weight Watchers Smart Points:
- Blue Plan: 1 point
- Purple Plan: 1 point
- Green Plan: 1 point
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 10 spears
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50Total Fat: 2g