These flavor packed, 21 Day Fix approved Jalapeno, Bacon and Beer Cheese Turkey Burgers make a healthy and fun addition to any barbecue!
Hey guys! So here’s a little snippet of me the last two months:
Middle of May after taking these photos: I’m going to get those burgers out for Father’s Day. They would be so great for dad!
End of June: I HAVE to get those burgers out for the 4th! People NEED these burgers for the 4th. They’re basically fireworks in your mouth.
(spoiler: this doesn’t happen either)
Aaaand here we are in the middle of freaking July with these cheesy, flavorful burgers. I mean, it was bound to happen eventually.
I had the best of intentions, but GUYS. This cross-country move was no joke. I’d love to tell you that I’m a super-mom-multitasker, but I’m just not. I’m a focus-everything-I-have-on-whatever-needs-doing kind of person. And the move needed doing. Ah well.
Also, for those of you following along, nope – we’re STILL not in our house yet. Just another thing that’s bound to happen eventually I guess. 😉
Ok, onto these amazingly 21 Day Fix approved Jalapeno, Bacon and Beer Cheese Turkey Burgers! Do you guys remember when I made this super delish Bacon & Beer Cheese Cauliflower Soup? I loved that decadent beer-cheesiness so much, I began working on other things that I could use it in, and these beautiful burgers were born.
When the hubs and I sat down to the final product, and both went “mmmm” on the first bite, I knew it was ready for you guys 😉
Quick note: don’t skip the grilled/broiled onions and jalapenos! They’re what put this burger over the top, especially if you really want it to taste jalapeno-y like I do. Also, if you want some tips on how to keep a turkey burger nice and juicy, check out this post! Hope you love them!!
Oh! And if you served them with some creamy coleslaw, some homemade baked beans and some Cucumber-Cantaloupe Salad, I mean who could possibly blame you? P.S. – if you’re wondering, that’s rum marinated grilled pineapple in these photos and would also make a great addition to this feast!!
Beer Cheese Sauce:
- 8 oz chopped cauliflower (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbs of your favorite beer, a lager is ideal for this!
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped jalapenos (about 3 large jalapenos)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 3-4 large jalapenos, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 slices of turkey bacon, cooked
Make the beer cheese:
- In a small saucepan, simmer the cauliflower in the chicken broth until the cauliflower is super super tender. You should be able to easily mash it with your fork on the side of the pot. Drain.
- Add the drained cauliflower to a small food processor or blender cup (I used a blender cup), add 2 Tbs of beer, 1/4 tsp salt and blend until the mixture is completely smooth. Return it to your small pot and stir in the cheddar - if your cauliflower mixture isn't hot enough to melt the cheese, you can put your pot on low for a minute until the cheese melts, then remove from heat.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Gently mix together all ingredients and form into 4 burger patties. Make sure your grill is nice and hot before adding your burgers or they may stick. You can also cook these in a cast iron skillet. Either way, using medium-high heat, they should take about 7 minutes on each side. Flip only once to get the juiciest burgers and cook until the burgers reach 165 degrees - or if you don't have a thermometer, until they're hot and no longer pink on the inside.
- Cook your jalapeno and onion slices over high heat until they're charred. You can put these right on the grill or use grill pan/basket if you don't want to lose some jalapeno slices like we did 😉 - I've also done these under the broiler and truth be told I liked them best that way, but it seems silly to turn on your oven when you're already using your grill!
- Serve each tasty turkey burger on whatever you like, such as a whole wheat bun, english muffin, whole wheat sandwich thin or wrapped in lettuce! (Just make sure you include whatever you use in your counts - I didn't include them so you would have the option of using whatever you liked). Each burger also gets 2 slices of turkey bacon, the sliced charred jalapenos and onions AND 1/4 cup of that amazing beer cheese!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents per serving: 1 1/2 Red, 1/2 Green, 1/2 Blue (plus add the count of whatever you put your burger on!)
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 8 (don't forget to add the points for whatever you serve it on!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 burger, 2 slices turkey bacon, 1/4 of the charred veggies and 1/4 cup of the beer cheese sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298 Total Fat: 15g