Meatloaf is 100% comfort food, isn’t it? This rolled version with Italian flavors is deliciously cheesy, saucy and 21 Day Fix approved! Perfect for a Sunday dinner or any night of the week.
Some meals just get right down into your soul, don’t they? This is a little twist on a meatloaf roll that I grew up eating – at our house we called it “Diane’s Meatloaf.” Diane was my mom’s best friend (and my best friend’s mom!) She’s been gone for seven years now, but every time I make her meatloaf, I imagine her right here with us, telling my kids to be sure to eat their vegetables or even just sitting at the table, laughing with my mother the way they did when we were kids. 🙂 She is missed, but we’ll never forget her.
That’s the beautiful thing about food. It doesn’t just fill a belly, it can tell a story or keep a memory close.
Aside from the fact that this dish brings so many wonderful memories to my mind, it’s also really delicious! I’m from Youngstown, Ohio, which is sort of like being from New York City (hold on, stay with me here!) in the sense that Italian food is what Y-town is all about. If you’re homesick and from Youngstown, the fix will always be going to go to the grocery store and picking up whatever you need to make yourself some comfort-y Italian fare. With basil, mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce and roasted bell peppers, this meal really feels like home to me. Making this meatloaf into a roulade (a French cooking term for roll) sort of fancies it up too, don’t you think? It makes it feel just a little more special than your typical ‘ol meatloaf (not that there’s anything wrong with your typical ol’ meatloaf!)
If you’ve never made any sort of roll like this before, no need to be intimidated, you can do it! It’s actually simpler than you’d think. Below are some last-minute pics I took of the process in hopes of making the instructions as clear as possible. It really is easy, I promise!
Just FYI, that sauce is ridiculous on some mashed potatoes!
Obviously this meal is close to my heart, but I’d love to work on “fixing” meals that are close to yours, too! You can contact me here with your recipes that you’d like me to fixify! I’m excited to see what your favorites are!
- 2 lbs 95% lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs or panko
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 8 large leaves of fresh basil (or more if your leaves are smaller) - you can chop these if you like
- 1 1/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 15 oz can no-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 (12 oz) jar of roasted red peppers, in water (DRAINED WELL!!)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
For the Sauce:
- In a blender, combine the tomato sauce with the drained, roasted red peppers and a pinch of salt and blend until smooth. Set aside.
For the Meatloaf:
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the beef, bread crumbs, eggs, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper and onions until fully combined.
- Lay out a large sheet of wax paper on your table (this will help you to roll your meatloaf - it's pretty tough without it, fyi). Place your meatloaf mixture on top and spread it out with your hands until you've got a rectangle that's about 9" wide and 1/2" thick (sorry I forgot to measure how long it was but as long as you make it 1/2 thick and about 9" wide, it won't really matter because you'll be rolling it up anyway!)
- Lay out your basil leaves on top of the meatloaf and sprinkle the entire thing (leaving a bit of a cheese-free border) with mozzarella.
- Using one end of the wax paper, roll your meatloaf as you would a pumpkin roll or jelly roll.
- Carefully put it in your prepared baking dish, seam side down. Top with the blended sauce and bake uncovered for one hour or until cooked through in the center. Top with some extra chopped basil if you have some and voila!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents: 1 RED, 1/2 BLUE, 1/3 GREEN & 1/6 YELLOW (if you choose to count that - I don't!)
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 6
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 11g