The addition of lemon and green onions brightens up my 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup while the Instant Pot makes it SO quick and easy!
Chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup, chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side…
Anyone else remember that song, or just me?
Every time I make my Lemon Chicken Noodle this pops in my head and reminds me of when my nephews were younger and they used to sing it. Cuteness overload <3
Anyway, I’ve been kind of sick, guys. And just when I think I’m feeling better, it comes back to bite me. Seriously, you nasty cold, you can BITE ME. Luckily before the cold struck, I had just photographed this recipe and had a ton of it in the fridge. So much happy. Or ya know, at least as much as I can possibly muster at the moment. So much comfort though, there’s definitely comfort.
Have you ever added lemon to your chicken noodle soup? There’s something about it that just makes it feel special. It’s a happy soup, people. And don’t you deserve a happy soup? Yeah you do.
I know most people love regular chicken noodle soup, but it’s always felt a bit (dramatic gasp!) boring to me. Is that weird? Likely. But even though I’ve never really been a chicken noodle girl, I’m definitely a lemon chicken noodle girl 😉 Oh! Btw, I also changed up the seasonings and added green onions to this soup and I have to say, it’s my favorite version yet.
Can we talk about the Instant Pot in my Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup?
You guys. This is my first Instant Pot recipe on the blog everrrrrrrrr!!!! If you don’t already know, an Instant Pot (click here on my affiliate link to check it out!) is a multi-function electric pressure cooker and it’s pretty freaking awesome. It’s a great way to cut down on your cooking time and wash fewer pots and pans. All good things, my friends.
If you read Wednesday’s post, you may remember me mentioning that I have a love/hate relationship with my Instant Pot. It’s true. But you shouldn’t and let me tell you why. The Instant Pot really can do some magical things, and I encourage you to pick one up, find some great recipes online and make all of the wonderful one-pot meals your pretty little heart desires.
Recipe writing and testing in the IP… that was more of a challenge than I was expecting, but, hey! Girl’s up for a challenge. 😉
I hope you bust out that Instant Pot and try out this recipe, because it’s always great to add a quick and healthy family favorite to your list of meals!
*A note about the pasta in this soup: I used these whole wheat wide egg noodles from Hodgson Mill (<– affiliate link) and they’re fantastic. They have a great flavor and texture. Dry to cooked measures about the same for this pasta, so that’s how this recipe is done.
If you don’t have these kinds of noodles, you can always use regular whole grain rotini, you may just want to cook them separately if you’re following the 21 Day Fix, so that you only add 2 1/2 cups of cooked pasta to the finished soup. If you’re not following the 21 Day Fix, this is no big deal!
Don’t have an Instant Pot yet? Click here to check it out on Amazon! (affiliate link)
Don’t forget to save this easy Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup to Pinterest! ⇓
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
- 3 cups chopped carrots (4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 bundle green onions, whites and greens separated and chopped (about 1 cup, chopped) - kitchen shears work great for snipping green onions!
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large chicken breasts, trimmed (about 1 1/2 lbs total)
- 6 cups of low-sodium chicken broth (48 oz)
- 2 1/2 cups dry whole wheat egg noodles (they don't expand like other noodles, if using a different pasta, you may want to cook it separately and just add in the 2 1/2 cups of cooked pasta at the end)
- 1 - 2 lemons, zested and juiced (about 1/4 cup of lemon juice - or more if you like it extra lemony)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp herbes de provence
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Spray the inside bottom of your metal insert pot with olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray. Turn on the saute function and saute the whites of the onions, the celery and carrots, seasoning with 1/8th tsp salt and pepper, until the carrots start to brown a bit, just a few minutes (they don't need to soften, this is just for flavor). Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Add the broth, the chicken breasts, the remaining 1/2 tsp salt and as much black pepper as you like to the pot, making sure that your chicken is completely covered by the broth. Put the lid on your instant pot (make sure the knob is turned to "sealing") then set on manual for 15 minutes.
- When it beeps, hit the "off" button, then do a quick pressure release by moving the knob on your lid from "sealing" to "venting" (I always use a kitchen towel to do this to protect my hands from the hot steam) and remove the chicken to rest for a minute on a cutting board.
- Add the dry pasta to the pot, put the lid back on (set to "sealing") and set on manual for zero (yes, zero!) minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, shred the chicken with two forks.
- When the pasta is done, turn off your pot and again do a quick release, take off the lid and add the shredded chicken back in.
- Stir in the the lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, herbes de provence, parsley, the remaining green onions and any extra pepper that you might want
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1 Green, 1 1/2 Red, 1 Yellow
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 3
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 4g
More feel-good soups: