These deliciously crispy Instant Pot Green Beans and Artichokes are a quick and easy, healthy side dish. This 21 Day Fix recipe is perfect for the holidays or any night of the week!
Hey guys! So it’s the Saturday before Thanksgiving, are you ready?? I was planning on cooking for the four of us on the big day, but some plans changed and we’re going to be making a whirlwind of a trip back home to Ohio, so I actually won’t be cooking this year. Is it weird that I’m a little bummed?
Ah well. At least we get to go home and see the fam! Plus Black Friday shopping is something that I’ve really missed doing with them the last two years that we were in Alaska. ♥
If you’re curious, you can scroll down to see what was going to be on our 21 Day Fix Thanksgiving menu!
Shall we get to these pretty Instant Pot Green Beans and Artichokes? We need to because, YOU GUYS. The flavors in this dish go so perfectly together. The slightly acidic artichokes with the other more savory flavors just balance so beautifully.
I’d also like to say that I’m super pumped to be able to share my love of using my Instant Pot to perfectly steam green beans. Basically I’m obsessed with steamed green beans and could totally eat them as a snack without anything else. Because I’m weird like that.
Anyway, I used to always steam them on the stove using this double boiler/steamer pot thing that I have. And that thing is great. It’s awesome. I mean, I love it. BUT. I’m not always so great or so awesome and have, on more than one occasion, overcooked my green beans until they, and I were very, very sad.
But then along came the Instant Pot and I never made a despondent green bean ever again. I also never had to babysit a pot in hopes of not overcooking veggies again. And now either will you. You’re welcome. 😉
How to Make Crispy Topped Instant Pot Green Beans and Artichokes
First, grind up your bread in the food processor until it looks like this, then set aside:
Next, place one cup of water in your Instant pot, then either your trivet or steamer insert (here’s one like mine <- affiliate link), then your beans on top of that. Steam for zero minutes, quick release, remove the beans, empty and dry the water from your liner and return it to your IP.
Now, put your Instant Pot on Saute, melt the butter, add the breadcrumbs and cook until toasted and crispy:
Put in a bowl with the grated romano cheese and mix together. Set aside.
Add the remaining butter to the pot, and cook the shallots and garlic until softened.
Add in the green beans, artichokes and seasonings and heat through.
Put the veggies on a pretty plate and top with the cheese-crumb mixture:
Now, I didn’t do this for this photo shoot (100% because I was insisting on using that pretty wooden platter), but I normally throw it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end. It makes the topping even crispier and melts that gloriously tangy cheese just enough!
Hope you guys love this one as much as I do!
Our 2018 Almost-Thanksgiving Menu
So perfect for just the four of us!
(we decided to make my apple stuffing instead of my new Sausage, Fennel and Cranberry Stuffing since we’ve eaten so much of that lately!)
It was a toss up between this and my Butternut Squash Meringue Casserole, I figured I’d make the latter next year 🙂
My fave coleslaw ever!
A MUST and the number 1 recipe on this blog right now!!
These Super Easy and Delicious Crispy Instant Pot Green Beans and Artichokes
And of course…
This tart is my FAVORITE pumpkin pie ever! The easiest no-roll crust that the tart pan makes picture perfect every time. Plus it’s damn delicious, you guys.
Happy Thanksgiving, foodies!! Hope it’s a great one!
If you make these 21 Day Fix Crispy Crumb-Topped Instant Pot Green Beans and Artichokes be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
Haven’t gotten your Instant Pot yet? Get yours here: Instant Pot 6 qt Duo (affiliate link)
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 (15 oz) can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 tsp butter, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots or onions
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread, ground into fresh breadcrumbs using a small food processor (you could probably use a blender for this, too)
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded pecorino-romano or romano cheese (shred using the smaller side of your grater, not the big "carrot" side)
- Add 1 cup of water to your Instant Pot, then put in either a steamer basket (I use THIS collapsible one and I highly recommend it!) or the trivet that came with your IP. Add your green beans and artichokes to your steamer basket or place on top of the trivet (if some fall through, it's not a big deal). Close the lid and press the "steam" button, setting it for zero minutes (yes, zero). Quick release when it's finished.
- Carefully remove the veggies from the pot, discard the water and dry the inner pot, returning to your IP.
- Turn on your saute function, melt 2 teaspoons of butter and toast the breadcrumbs in it until crispy. Remove and mix with the shredded romano, this will be your topping, set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the pot, then the shallots and garlic, cooking until softened. Put your steamed green beans and artichokes back into the pot along with the salt and pepper, heating back through until hot.
- Pour your veggies into your favorite serving dish and sprinkle with the crumb and cheese topping. It's delish just like this, but I love popping it under the broiler for a minute to make the topping extra crispy and the cheese a little melty!
21 Day Fix Container Counts: 1/2 Green, 1/2 tsp, 1/8 Yellow, 1/8 blue (the yellow and blue are really too little to count here, I'm just putting them here for your info, in case you have 2 servings, then you can count them each as 1/4)
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 2
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83 Total Fat: 3g
Save these 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Green Beans and Artichokes to Pinterest! ↓
Oh! And here’s another great 21 Day Fix green bean recipe from my friend Carrie over at Carrie Elle!