These 21 Day Fix overnight oats have all of the delicious flavors of a Hummingbird Cake (but none of the guilt)!
Wouldn’t you like to wake up to this? No cooking. No fixing. Just wake up, grab some coffee and your yummy cup of oats, walk outside and soak up the sun? Me too! That’s why I was so excited a while back to try out this new, crazy uncooked overnight oats phenomenon. All of the cool kids were doing it and hey, I can be cool too, really I can.
Most recipes at the time were of similar design: greek yogurt, oats, milk of some kind and whatever add-ins you’d like to flavor it all with. It all sounded great to me! And then… I had a spoonful. Aaaand… I kind of hated it. Ugh. I wanted SO BADLY to love this ingenious idea, but something about the tanginess of the yogurt with the oats… for me it was just two things that weren’t meant to be together. I ate it anyway, of course, because it was food, it was in front of me and my name is Stephanie, but it was far from love at first bite. Since then, I’ve seen several recipes without the yogurt, so this recipe may not exactly be revolutionary, but it IS really yummy 🙂
Speaking of Stephanies… recently my friend Stephanie (of Surveys by Stephanie) had posted a picture of a hummingbird cake on her facebook page. Have I mentioned how I love cake? Oh, everyone and their mother loves cake? Well, anyway, it must have really been on my mind because when I was thinking about giving the ol’ overnight oats a retry, those flavors were the first things I thought of. I mean really, banana, pineapple, pecans and cinnamon. Um, yeah, I’m all over that stuff.
If you’ve been thinking of giving overnight oats a retry, I think this recipe is a great place to start.
What’s your favorite overnight oats flavor combo? Sound off in the comments!
- 1/4 of a banana
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp raw sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (be sure to use oats that are labeled gluten free if you're GF!)
- 5 pecan halves, chopped or broken into pieces
- In a bowl, mash the banana. Stir in the almond milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Give it a taste, if you want it a little sweeter, add a little of the raw sugar. Most times I feel like the banana gives it enough sweetness, but that's up to you. Stir in the oats and the pineapple, then pour the mixture into a jar (or any well-sealed container) and refrigerate overnight. Duh. 🙂
- When you're ready to serve, top with your pecans and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon (because it's fun) and enjoy!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents: 1 YELLOW, 1 PURPLE, 1/2 BLUE
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 jar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231 Total Fat: 9.5g