Make a perfectly smooth, delicious and healthy smoothie every single time.
Hey guys! Long time no see! (or write?) Anyway, you may remember this from a while back, but I host a Facebook group with 3 crazy-awesome 21 Day Fix bloggers and recently in the group, the topic of “How in the hell do I make a green smoothie that I don’t have to chew?” came up. Ya know, preferably without needing to buy a $400 blender.
I mean, it’s a valid question.
And seeing as how I’m been making smoothies smooth since 1992 (just kidding), I thought I’d give you guys my almost embarrassingly easy favorite trick, plus the perfect ingredient ratios, so that you can also make the most absolutely perfect smoothies every. single. time. Because I loves ya.
As the title suggests, I’ve tried this technique on several different blenders (including cheap, crappy ones) and it has always worked.
That being said, if you’re wondering, the blender that I currently use is the Ninja in the photos and I do love it 🙂
Let’s start with ingredient ratios for one smoothie, shall we?
1/2 cup of any of these liquids or a combination of them (depending on what fruit you use, you may need to add a little more liquid at the end:
unsweetened fruit juice
unsweetened almond, rice, soy or coconut milk
canned coconut milk
low-fat cows milk
1/2 cup lightly packed spinach or any greens you like
Spinach is probably my go-to, but I also like to use the “power greens” that my grocery store sells in a plastic container – it has a mixture of good-for-you salad greens like kale, spinach and chard. Once they’re blended with the fruit you can’t taste them at all anyway, so you may as well get in all of the nutrients you can.
1/4 of a frozen banana
I’m listing this separately from the other fruit, because you need this in addition to other fruit. Why? Because bananas are legit magic, that’s why. That little bit o’ banana is all you need to turn your smoothie into a creamy, dreamy bucket of love.
*Side note: every time I see that my bananas have little time left in this world, I peel ’em, break ’em in quarters and chuck ’em in the freezer so I always have some ready for smoothies. Waste not, want not, people.
**Another side note: If for some reason you are anti-banana – which I will not pretend to understand, but I won’t unfriend you on Facebook for it (unless you write multiple banana-hating posts, in that case I can’t be held responsible for my actions. You understand.) – you can sub this for a couple of tablespoons of avocado (yep!) or leave it out altogether, but obviously it won’t be as creamy or as dreamy, so there’s that.
1/2 cup of frozen fruit of your choosing
Since there are about a gazillion different kinds of fruit in the world I’m not going attempt to list them all here, but you get the picture.
Oh, here’s a good tip for ya – if you’re serving this to picky eaters who might freak out at the sight of a green drink, throw in some dark berries, like blackberries or blueberries and it’ll cover those greens right up. They don’t even need to know that there’s spinach in that delicious smoothie!
Drum roll please…
The trick is not to throw all of your ingredients in at once. Your first step will be to blend just the greens and the liquid together until it turns into a completely green liquid. This may take a few minutes depending on your blender. Also, if you have one of those blender cups, I find that those usually get this done the fastest. It should look like this ⇓
Now you can add the rest of the ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. (This part will go much faster, probably only a minute or so).
Voila! One super nutritious, super smooth, super tasty smoothie, all for you.
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
- 1/2 cup liquid (water, unsweetened almond (or coconut, soy or rice) milk, 100% fruit juice, low-fat milk, canned coconut milk, etc.)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed greens (such as spinach, kale, or anything you'd like)
- 1/4 of a large banana, frozen
- 1/2 of any frozen fruit(s) that you like
- A drizzle of honey if ya like
- In your blender (or blender cup if you have one, those work faster), blend together the greens and the liquid that you chose. Let your blender go to town for several minutes until you have what looks like green milk or green water, depending on what you used. There shouldn't really be any pieces of greens left, it should be pretty smooth.
- Next, add the rest of your ingredients except for the honey and blend away. This will probably take less than a minute to get it smooth from here.
- Depending on the specific fruits that you used, you may need a little bit of extra liquid to get to your desired thickness, if so add some along with a little bit of honey if you think your smoothie needs it. Blend again for few seconds and enjoy!
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1 Purple, 1/2 Green PLUS the counts for whatever liquid you used since they are all counted differently.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.