This Healthy Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta is a super simple, quick and delicious dinner that the whole family will love! Great for meal-prepping AND it’s 21 Day Fix approved!
So, let me start this post by saying that this is the wrong post. I was supposed to be sharing my South Carolina-Style Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Mustard BBQ Sauce today (which, OMG, you guys.), but as you can see, that is not what this is. THIS is Healthy Instant Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta. Cue the swooning.
I got it in my head recently that I
wanted needed to make a taco pasta. I don’t know if it’s because I eat less tacos and more comfort-y things in the winter, but I REALLY wanted some extra homey, extra cozy, extra taco-y pasta. Because best of both worlds. Anyway, as soon as I made it, I just couldn’t wait and HAD to get it up for you guys ASAP.
There are so many ridiculously awesome things to tell you about this freakishly addicting taco pasta and since I like lists, you’re getting a list. (you like lists too, right?)
- It’s supah fast. We’re talking a 13 minute cook time including the time it takes to come to pressure. Boom.
- It’s easy. There are only 2 things you need to chop and honestly, if you don’t feel like it, you can probably get them already chopped in your produce department.
- There aren’t a million ingredients. Aside from the seasonings, all of which you most likely have in your cabinet, there are only 6 ingredients. Ok, plus toppings, but those are completely optional and this pasta is crazy delicious all by itself.
- ENORMOUS PORTIONS! Each serving is 1 and 3/4 of a cup and it is SO DAMN FILLING.
- With the optional toppings (like I said, not necessary, but delish), you can make it taste like your favorite taco, which is pretty fun if you ask me.
- For my fixers, it gets in 1 1/2 Greens per serving!
- Last, but not least: It’s basically like a taco gave you the best hug ever.
Oh – and here is the answer to a question that I’ve gotten so many times about this recipe:
Is there enough liquid in this recipe for the Instant Pot to come to pressure? I thought you needed at least a cup of liquid in a 6 quart Instant Pot…
I just want to calm any concerns about this – I PROMISE there is enough liquid for this recipe. I’ve made this recipe a million times and it always works perfectly in my 6 quart Instant Pot (I can’t speak to an 8 quart, I don’t have one to test it in, but I would guess you may need a little more for that).
Anyway, between the meat and the veggies letting off a ton of liquid in the cooking process, plus the liquid from the tomatoes, there’s more than enough liquid in the pot. Pinkie swear. 😉
I hope you guys love this one as much as we do!
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
*Instant Pot Note!: This recipe has only been tested in the Instant Pot 6 quart duo – If you have an 8 qt, you may need to add more liquid. Haven’t gotten your Instant Pot yet? Get yours here!: Instant Pot 6 qt Duo (affiliate link)
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- entire recipe of taco seasoning (or about 3 Tbs of low sodium taco seasoning)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped bell peppers (any color - about 3 peppers total)
- 4 oz dry whole wheat rotini pasta ( about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 (15 oz) cans of no-salt-added diced tomatoes (1 drained, 1 undrained)
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar (Fixers, if you have a whole blue to use, you can double this amount, it's delicious either way, but CHEESE)
- Optional: Your favorite taco toppings: shredded lettuce, greek yogurt, sliced olives, salsa, cilantro, jalapenos or whatever Fix approved toppings you like! (just be sure to count them! - except shredded iceberg lettuce, you can have it, but it doesn't count toward your Green container)
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the taco seasoning ingredients.
- Spray the bottom of your Instant Pot with olive oil cooking spray and turn on the saute function. To the pot, the turkey, seasoning and chopped onions, using a spatula to mix everything together and crumble the meat as it cooks. Once it's well crumbled (no need for it to be cooked all the way through), turn off the saute mode and stir in the pasta, chopped bell peppers and canned tomatoes (remember, only 1 can should be drained!). Close the lid and set to manual for 3 minutes.
- Quick release when finished, then stir in the cheese until melted and serve with your favorite taco toppings!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents per Serving: 1 1/2 Green, 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1/2 Blue (plus whatever toppings you use!)
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 6 (calculated with 99% fat free ground turkey and without toppings (though most of them are zero points anyway!)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329 Total Fat: 8g