This easy, 21 Day Fix healthy hollandaise sauce recipe uses a secret ingredient to cut the calories and fat while keeping all of the silky rich deliciousness. Kid approved and gluten free.
All links in this post are affiliate links for products that I use and truly love. Thanks for supporting my little blog!
Hey guys! Did you catch my Instant Pot Eggs Benedict last week? I’m so obsessed that I’ve been making that recipe every single day for breakfast. It’s SO crazy addicting. Anyway, I wanted to bring you directions on how to JUST make the hollandaise sauce (because it’s magic). This post has a 4 serving batch of the good stuff and has directions for both using an Instant Pot and without using one for those of you who don’t have one (yet!!). You know I’ve got you.
Before we get to the instructions, I just want to talk about hollandaise for a quick sec (and why this recipe is so freaking awesome). My healthy hollandaise has a 3 tablespoon serving. Each serving has 94 calories and 8 grams of fat. A 3 tablespoon serving of traditional hollandaise has more than twice the amount of both, clocking in at 206 calories and 22 grams of fat! Crazy, right?! That doesn’t even include whatever you’re putting it on! Anyway, the secret ingredient that helps you cut those numbers in half is cauliflower. Cauliflower is such a renaissance man. Anyway, I PROMISE that it does not taste like cauliflower in any way. It tastes rich, delicious and amazing. Ya know, like hollandaise.
Ok, let’s make it!
The first thing you’re going to do is steam your cauliflower. This recipe calls for 2 cups of sliced cauliflower (because that’s how I cut it if I’m using the Instant Pot and want to put the trivet on top to make poached eggs at the same time), but I also weighed it with my trusty food scale so if you’ve got one of those you could just weigh it instead and not have as much cutting to do.
You can either steam your cauliflower in your Instant Pot, on the stove top or in the microwave (full directions are in the recipe card for easy printing). I like using my IP because it’s super quick (and also because I’m lazy and know I won’t have to check on it).
While your cauliflower is steaming, you’re going to get the rest of your ingredients ready (except the hot butter) and put them either in a blender or a food processor*. Both work great! Once they’re in, give ’em a quick buzz so they’re all mixed up and ready for you to add the hot cauliflower and butter.
Once your cauliflower is done, you’re going to quickly drain it well and then add it to your blender/food processor along with the hot butter.
Blend again for creamy, dreamy hollandaise magic.
Hollandaise is obviously amazing on eggs, but it’s also great over veggies or as a veggie dip! You can even add some different seasonings to it to change it up and have a different sauce each time.
Smoky southwestern seasoning would be SO great in this for a southwest version (I have plans for a southwest Benedict coming up, you guys!!), sometimes I add more lemon or more (or less) white pepper depending on what I’m going to serve it with. It’s super customizable and the options are endless! Hope you love it as much as I do!!
*Just fyi, this isn’t the exact mini food processor that I have (they don’t sell that model anymore!) but this one is very similar and looks great!
Save this healthy hollandaise sauce recipe to Pinterest ⇓⇓
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
- 2 cups sliced raw cauliflower (or 6.4 oz total)
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp - 1/4 tsp white pepper (however much you like)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
Steam your cauliflower:
- Add your cauliflower and 1 1/2 cups of water to the instant pot. Lock lid and cook on manual for 2 minutes, QR.
- Place your cauliflower and about a 1/4 cup of water in a microwave safe bowl with a lid (I have a glass casserole dish that I use for this) and cook in the microwave until so soft you can easily mash it against the side of the dish. I'm not exactly sure how long it'll take, but I'd start with 6 minutes and go from there.
- You can either put the cauliflower in a pot with a 1/2 cup of water or so, close the lid and cook until soft, or if you have a steamer insert you can use that. (works fine either way!)
- While your cauliflower is steaming, place all ingredients (except the hot butter) in either a blender, a blender cup or a small food processor. Blend for a few seconds so everything is ready and waiting for the hot cauliflower and butter.
- When the cauliflower has cooked, quickly drain it well and then add it and the hot butter to your blender/food processor and blend away until it super smooth and creamy - this should only take a minute or so. Serve!
Refrigerate any leftovers, this recipe can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for several days!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents per Serving: 1/2 Red, 1/2 Green, 1 1/2 tsp
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 3
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 3 Tbs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 8g