This healthy chicken dish is so flavorful and delicious. I love how all of the aromatic spices on the chicken go so perfectly with the sweet and tangy tomato chutney. Your 21 Day Fix never tasted so good!
Ever find a recipe that you want to try, but maybe you’re on the fence about whether or not you or your family will like it and you let it sit and sit and sit and never make it? Well, this is actually a common problem for me. I have two ENORMOUS binders full of meals that I may or may not ever make. I’m a hoarder. A recipe hoarder to be precise. Things could be worse, right?
Here is one such meal that, after DEVOURING it, I couldn’t believe that I had let it sit in my big, blue binder so long without making it. These are flavors that always make me happy, I honestly don’t know what I was thinking. Not only was this chicken delicious, it was pretty quick and really easy, too.
The original version of this recipe was from Cooking Light Magazine… from 2006. I know, I know! I changed a few things up to make it more Fix-friendly, of course and I also removed some chopped serrano pepper from the chutney (though I’m sure it would be really great!) so that my kids would eat it. Maybe next time I’ll do half and half. Oh well, that’s for another day.
If you’re wondering, my oldest did eat it and love it, but my three-year-old is currently in the “I don’t like dinner!” stage – yes, she literally says that almost every night before she even has any idea what’s for dinner – and we barely got her to eat some plain roasted chicken and some broccoli. Sigh. Sometimes you just have to be grateful for the little victories. Anyway, I think most kids would like this one, the chicken is SUPER-flavorful, but not spicy and the chutney is slightly sweet. If you’d like to crank up the heat, you can add some chopped serrano or jalapeno peppers to the shallots. 🙂
For the chutney:
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp grated fresh gingerroot
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups, quartered grape tomatoes
- 6 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs raw sugar
- 3 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the grilled chicken:
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt, to taste
- 4 lbs chicken breast halves, cut in half into equal portions
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
Make the chutney:
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a medium sauté pan. Add the shallots and cook about 5 minutes or until the shallots have just begun to soften, stirring frequently. Add the ginger and the garlic, cook about 30 seconds while stirring. Add the chopped tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and the 1/2 tsp of salt; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer another 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Turn off heat and cover again to keep warm.
For the chicken:
- Prepare grill - if you're using a gas grill, set it to medium heat.
- In a small sauté pan, heat the 4 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add all of the seasonings (except the salt) stirring frequently for about 1 minute. Brush mixture evenly on both sides of each piece of chicken; lightly season with salt.
- Grill chicken approximately 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Let chicken rest for 5 - 10 minutes, then slice. Serve chutney over chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley.
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents: 1 RED, 1/2 GREEN, 1 TSP
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: About 3/4 cup of chicken and 1/6th of the chutney
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275 Total Fat: 10g