This Edamame-Black Bean Salad is full of crisp veggies, a sweet-tart dressing and a nutritional boost from the black beans and edamame. Such a delicious and healthy 21 Day Fix-approved side dish that’s also gluten free and vegan!
Hey guys! I know my posts have been sporadic at best lately, but I swear I’m REALLY trying to get my $&*# together. Since school is officially back in session (whoop whoop!) I finally feel like I have a little bit of time to get things done and it feels seriously good. So good, in fact, that for the first full week I can’t say I did a whole lot other than laundry, dishes, binge-watching Homeland, enjoying the utter silence of my house (when I wasn’t watching Homeland) and (let’s get real) fretting over my brand new kindergartener being in school all day all by herself. Without me.
But hey, I know you didn’t come over here to listen (read?) to me give excuses about why I haven’t posted. You want to know about this pretty-as-a-picture bean salad. With this being Labor Day weekend and all, I wanted to give you guys a healthy side perfect to serve up next to burgers, brats, barbecue or basically anything that starts with a “B.” Just kidding, please don’t serve this with buttercream or a banana split, that might be a little strange.
I’ve been making this recipe, or a variation of it for quite a while and it’s not just a pretty face, it tastes amazing, too. Those fresh, crisp veggies pair so well with the beans and the sweet-tart dressing balances so perfectly with the slightly spicy raw onion. Sometimes I’ll throw in a little chopped fresh basil if I have some on hand, it’s a great addition, but I didn’t have any when I made it this time. Either way it’s really fantastic.
If you happen to make this for a barbecue and have a little left over, I like to throw it on top of greens for a special salad or even eat it all by itself for lunch. Yum 🙂
Hope you guys like this one and have a great weekend spent with family and friends!
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed (I just defrost mine in the microwave for a few)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup red, orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 1 medium pepper)
- 3/4 cup red onion, chopped (Tip! to take some of the bite out of those onions, put them in a bowl of ice water for just a minute or two, then drain).
To make the dressing:
- In a large bowl (the one you want your salad to end up in, add the vinegar, sugar and Dijon. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing fully comes together and the sugar has dissolved (usually only takes a minute or two).
- Add the rest of ingredients into the bowl, mix together and refrigerate. So easy! You can eat it right away, but the longer it sits, the better it tastes!
21 Day Fix Container Counts Per Serving: 1/2 Yellow, 1/4 Green, 1/4 Orange - or if you're following the Vegan/Vegetarian Plan: 1/4 Red, 1/4 Green, 1/4 Orange
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 1
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87 Total Fat: 4g
Save this Edamame-Black Bean Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette to Pinterest!↓
Looking for more fresh, healthy side salads? Check these out!