These 21 Day Fix overnight oats are the perfect winter make-ahead breakfast.
Hey guys! How was your holiday? My Thanksgiving was pretty fantastic. Got to visit with some of my very favorite people and eat lots of delicious food. Also, I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this to you guys before, but it’s become a tradition in my family to do the crazy Black Friday shopping. And OMG how I love it. I know that many of you cannot understand it, BUT I actually have several reasons why the mall on Black Friday is my happy place. And since you know how I love a good list, here ya go:
- I used to work in the mall back in the day and it was one of the happiest times of my life. (Ya know, before I had bills to pay.) In fact, it’s where I met my husband. Also, it’s where I got the cooking bug, one of the stores that I worked in was a Kitchen Collection. So being at the mall brings on happy, nostalgic thoughts.
- I’m one of those people who actually kind of loves the “hustle and bustle.” I love the energy of a crowded mall, I always have. Also, contrary to popular belief, most people in most places are actually really happy that day. It’s true. Good moods abound. Well, maybe not at Walmart or Best Buy, but I never go to either of those places, so whatevs. I’m down for feelin’ the Christmas spirit.
- For me, our little shopping trip is much more than checking items off of a list. It’s an adventure with so many of my favorite ladies, my aunt, mother, grandmother and our daughters (four in all). I don’t get to spend as much time with them as I’d like, and this is really quality time at it’s finest. We chat, reconnect and relearn each other’s likes and dislikes through shopping and the love of a good deal. 😉
- Christmas music and decorations. For people who LOVE Christmas (like me), it’s the place to be.
So if you haven’t already figured this out, I’m full-on in Christmas mode (another bonus of our Black Friday shopping extravaganza). Our outside lights are up, as is the tree and all of our indoor decorations. Also, I finished up our advent calendar, so that’s ready to go. I’ll probably tell you more about that in future posts as we do some of the activities. 🙂
This also means that it’s peppermint and cranberry EVERYTHING season, which I’m completely into. And I’m pretty ecstatic to be beginning with these overnight oats. They’re so freaking delicious. I’ll try not to bore you with how and why I love overnight oats, since I’ve probably mentioned it already in my Blueberry-Pistachio and Hummingbird Cake Overnight Oats posts. I spare you because I love you.
Anyway, the reason I called these Cranberry-Apple Pie Oats is because I make this galette (basically a free-form pie) with these same flavors and it might just be my favorite pie of all time. On second thought, it is. It is my all-time favorite pie. I love a good ol’ traditional apple pie, really I do, but adding cranberries really takes it to a whole new level. Having those tart berries against the sweet, cinnamon-y apple filling and the buttery crust… it’s exactly what I want in a dessert. Perfect balance. These oats are the same. Bonus points for being able to make a bunch at once (and quickly), stick ’em in the fridge and have them ready for you throughout the week. Also, don’t forget that you can pop them in the microwave in the morning for a minute or two if you need a warm-up, it is winter-time, after all.
Heads up, if you didn’t already know, cranberry season is painfully short! Stock up now and throw those bad boys straight into your freezer, they last FOREVER! In fact, I actually took the pictures for this post in October with berries from last year and they were great! Actually, they might even be better for some people, because they become slightly (only slightly) less tart after they’re in the freezer for several months.
Hope you guys love these! Such a great way to start the day 🙂
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (be sure to use oats that are labeled gluten free if you're GF!)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 of a sweet apple (gala, fuji), chopped
- cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (if frozen, no need to thaw)
- 5 pecans, chopped
- Spray a non-stick skillet with olive oil cooking spray, heat to medium, add apples and as much cinnamon as you like (I just give a hefty sprinkle, I never measure this) until apples have softened. Set aside and let cool.
- In a jar or other lidded container, stir together the oats, almond milk and maple syrup.
- Add the fruit on top (don't stir) close lid and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, stir contents (adding a little extra almond milk if necessary and top with chopped pecans. Enjoy!
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1 Yellow, 3/4 Purple, 1/2 Blue, 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 7
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: entire recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 7g