This easy Carrot-Apple Salad is the perfect healthy, pretty side to bring to any potluck, picnic, barbecue or holiday dinner! Plus it’s 21 Day Fix and Weight Watchers friendly!
Hi! This post was originally published on 8/13/2015, but I’ve recently updated it with some pretty new photos including ones that show how to make this dish step by step. Hope it’s helpful!
So I know my kids are in school… and right now in Louisville, it’s 62 degrees… but it is still summer, gosh darn it, it IS!!
While I’ll admit to my thoughts occasionally straying towards fall activities as of late, I’m not quite ready to give up on summer. It’s still August, for Pete’s sake! August!! Anyway, this dish really feels like summer to me (though my family is quite happy to eat it all year long).
It’s fresh, it’s pretty and that amazing bright, lemony dressing balances out the sweetness of the carrots and the apples perfectly.
I’m so into this simple side that sometimes I’ll even have a bowlful of it for lunch or a snack. It’s easy to put together plus it’s also pretty quick if you have a food processor with a carrot-shredding disc – though honestly it’s not even too bad if you don’t. Hey, you might even make a muscle grating away on your box grater for a few minutes 😉
Silly side note and NSV (non-scale victory): my arms used to always get tired out SO easily when I would grate cheese or something on the box grater and I would have to switch arms several times while grating (or make my husband do it!).
However, after my second round of 21 Day Fix (affiliate link), I noticed that I was suddenly a champion cheese grater! I was probably more proud than necessary, but there you have it. 🙂
So this Carrot-Apple Salad is actually a fixified version of this Morroccan Carrot Chickpea Salad from Every day with Rachael Ray magazine. The original is also delicious and healthy (and I urge you to try it sometime!), but it had a few ingredients (chickpeas, cashews and raisins) whose containers are better used elsewhere in my opinion.
I wanted this recipe to be blue and yellow-container free for my 21 Day Fixers, so I played around with it until it was just right 🙂 Speaking of the original, I’d also like to mention that my kids WOULD NOT eat that version, but they can’t get enough of this one!
Maybe the apples will also lure your kids into eating their carrots. Hey, I didn’t think it would happen either, but it did!
Let’s make it!
How to make Carrot-Apple Salad:
Here’s a little Q&A for ya! :
I hate cilantro – what can I substitute for the cilantro?
My first choice would be to substitute basil for the cilantro. You could also substitute flat leaf parsley or leave the herbs out altogether. It’ll be delish either way!
What to serve this Carrot-Apple Salad with:
Ok, I have a TON of great ideas because this salad is so insanely versatile.
- Chicken basted with either my original 21 Day Fix Barbecue Sauce or my Apple-Cider Barbecue Sauce (either would be amazing, but personally I’d bring it all together with the Apple BBQ)!
- This goes so beautifully with a ham dinner at the holidays (I always make it for Easter, and those of you who make ham for Christmas it would be perfect then, too)!
- It would be amazing on top of a pulled pork sandwich instead of coleslaw!
- Next to this delish Asian chicken from Confessions of a Fit Foodie – match made in heaven!
- It would also make the perfect side to basically any sandwich or burger (and here’s a whole list of sandwiches and burgers for you)!
Honestly the options are endless!
In conclusion, make this. Make it now. Feel healthy and happy. Eek out that last bit of summer while you still can. That’s my plan 😉 Enjoy!
Hey, can I ask a quick favor? If you make this Carrot-Apple Salad recipe, please let me know how it went by leaving a star rating (in the recipe card) and commenting! And if you snap a pic, I’d love for you to tag me @thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! I love seeing what recipes you guys are making!
Don’t forget to save this healthy Carrot-Apple Salad recipe to Pinterest! ⇓
- 5 tbs fresh lemon juice (1-3 lemons, depending on size)
- 6 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 5 cups grated carrots (about 2 lbs worth)
- 5 cups sweet apples, chopped small (3-4 apples, depending on size)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until emulsified. Mix in the carrots, apples, and cilantro until fully combined. Easy peas-y!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents: 1/2 GREEN, 1/2 PURPLE - You can either count the dressing as 1/2 ORANGE or 2 TSP
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 3
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130 Total Fat: 8g