The sloppy joe gets a healthy, Manwich-free reboot in these quick and delicious Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes. Gluten-free, too!
This was originally posted September 8th, 2015 but I’ve updated it today with a couple of tweaks to the sauce and Instant Pot directions for basically the quickest, easiest kid-friendly meal ever!
Aside from the ubiquitous Mac and Cheese, is there any better kid-pleaser than the sloppy joe? It’s messy, it’s tasty and parents like it because it’s EASY! Are you wondering how much longer these will take you to make than say, opening a can and pouring? Well, I didn’t test this out (I should have though!) but the process of making this yummy sauce took all of five minutes and it pretty much rocks, people. Seriously.
Instead of using fatty ground beef and canned sauce (likely loaded with plenty of sodium, high fructose corn syrup and preservatives), I’m using my DELICIOUS, homemade, clean-eating bbq sauce and lean ground turkey! You really can’t beat it.
I figured this would be a great meal for this time of year when we’re all looking for “quick” what with school starting and all. Though I guess we’re always happy to have something quick and easy in our back pockets aren’t we? This also freezes really well and would be a great thing to make on prep day, divide into reds and toss in the freezer for whenever. **Word to the wise, if you happen to have a batch of my 21 Day Fix Barbecue Sauce already made, don’t throw it in here. For some reason, it just tastes way too sweet in this (to me anyway), so this is a modified version of that recipe with less sugar and more spices. YUM!
I hope you guys had a great Labor Day weekend, but if you’re feeling like you fell off the wagon food-wise, just jump back on right now and don’t you give it another thought! You can’t have your eyes on the prize if they’re looking to the past. It’s done, today is a new day, you got this 🙂
By the way, if you’ve signed up for The Foodie and The Fix newsletter, it’ll be in your inbox this coming weekend due to the holiday weekend. If you haven’t, sign up today (on the right side of the page) and never miss a post!
Just FYI – these Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes have only been tested in the Instant Pot 6 quart duo (affiliate link) – If you have an 8 qt, you may need to add more liquid.
If you make these 21 Day Fix sloppy joes be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 - 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water (only use 1/2 cup if you're making this in the Instant Pot)
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp pure maple syrup (or raw sugar)
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Optional: like it spicy? A little chipotle powder is GREAT in this!
For the Turkey Joes:
- 1 lb ground turkey (93% lean)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- salt & pepper, to season
- 8 whole wheat buns, Sandwich Thins, 1/2 pitas or lettuce leaves (not included in calorie or container counts as they will be different depending on what you choose to use)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients, set aside.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Spray the bottom of your Instant Pot with olive oil cooking spray. Turn on saute function and add the peppers, onions and ground turkey. Season with a little salt and pepper. Use a spatula to break up the meat.
- Once the meat is broken up (it doesn't have to be cooked at all, it'll cook while under pressure), stir in all of the barbecue sauce, lock the lid in place and set to manual for 2 minutes. When it's finished, quick release the pressure and give it a stir. If it's too liquid-y, turn saute function back on and let the liquid cook out a bit (I didn't have to do this, but letting you know just in case!) and serve on whatever you like!
Stove Top Directions:
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium heat, then add the peppers, onions and ground turkey. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Break up the ground turkey and continue to cook until turkey is cooked through. Stir in the sauce and heat through, check seasoning and add a little salt and/or pepper if necessary (I like a lot of pepper in mine!).
- Serve with sandwich thins, buns, bread, 1/2 pitas or lettuce leaves - whatever floats your boat!
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents: 1 RED, 1/2 Green 1 tsp sweetener
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 2 points if you use 99% fat free ground turkey, 5 points if you use 93%
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 3/4 cup of meat mixture per serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225 Total Fat: 7.7g
Save these Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes to Pinterest ⇓⇓