This 21 Day Fix pumpkin custard tart is my easy, delicious and healthier take on classic pumpkin pie. With it’s pecan crust and that incredible bourbon-nutmeg coconut whip, it’s the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving or any holiday!
Ohmagoodness, you guys. I know it’s only the end of September but is anyone else craving turkey with all the trimmings right now? So weird. It couldn’t be this picture, could it?
I say it’s never a bad idea to get your ish together early when it comes to holiday meals anyhow. There’s nothing worse than trying to figure everything out a few days before when you have a zillion other things to do. Especially if you want to make your holiday meal 21 Day Fix approved – because if you fail to plan, you plan to fail, people.
But I have some good news! My friends and I have your back.
So aside from getting to do my very favorite thing for a living (you were probably thinking “cook”, but I was totally thinking “eat”), the best part of being a blogger is all of the awesome people you meet along the way. For me, that’s included three other 21 Day Fix bloggers who I’ve been so lucky to get to know, Nancylynn from Confessions of a Fit Foodie, Carrie from Carrie Elle and Becca from My Crazy Good Life.
The four of us recently got together and decided that it would be really fun to throw a virtual Thanksgiving dinner to give you guys some healthy holiday inspiration. This is why you’re getting a pumpkin custard tart in September.
Basically we were excited.
And hungry 🙂
Our 21 Day Fix approved virtual Thanksgiving Dinner
If you haven’t already, you can start over at Confessions of a Fit Foodie, where Nancylynn is making Roasted Shrimp Cocktail with Cranberry Horseradish Chutney for our appetizer and that sauce sounds freaking amazing.
We decided not to do a main course since we figured most of you will be having turkey, but I do have this great 21 Day Fix Slow-Cooker Turkey Breast with Gravy you can check out if you need a turkey recipe 😉
Next we can head over to My Crazy Good Life for Becca’s simple Mashed Cauliflower recipe. Mashed cauliflower tastes absolutely delicious with gravy and is a great way to save your carbs (yellows) for other carb-y favorites (like sweet potatoes ⇓ and stuffing!).
After that we go to Carrie Elle for Carrie’s 21 Day Fix Roasted Sweet Potatoes. You guys. I’m kind of addicted to sweet potatoes, have I ever told you that? And these ones are fantastically easy and delicious – I love the coconut oil on them!
Well, you’re already here, but last but not least is my Pumpkin Custard Tart with Bourbon-Nutmeg Coconut Whip for dessert. What’s not in this title (because it’s already so damn long) is the super easy pecan crust. It gets toasty in the oven and is just so incredible with the pumpkin filling.
Not to mention the fact that YOU DON’T HAVE TO ROLL IT*, just blend it up in the food processor and press it into the tart pan. It doesn’t get any better. Oh! And because this is made in a large, 11 inch tart pan, it serves 12 people!
A little run through on making this pumpkin custard tart in pictures:
I hope these recipes are a great start to your healthier turkey day dinner, scroll down for more great holiday recipe ideas!
*That’s right, pumpkin pie, you’re dead to me. (Unless someone else makes the pumpkin pie, in which case I will delightedly eat it [possibly while dancing] and ask for seconds.)
Don’t forget to save this easy Pumpkin Custard Tart recipe to Pinterest! ↓
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I haven't tested this with any other flours, fyi)
- 1/2 cup pecan halves (about 30), finely ground in food processor (measure first, then put in the food processor, once finely ground, the measurement will be different)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 Tbs unsalted grassfed butter, cut into small pieces and put back in the fridge to get cold again
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 2 Tbs ice water
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin
- 6 Tbs raw sugar
- 1/2 Tbs bourbon (or 1 tsp vanilla)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 Tbs pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 3 eggs
- pinch of salt (I probably used about 1/16th of a tsp)
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight (Hot tip! When you're buying coconut milk at the grocery store for this, when you shake the can, you shouldn't be able to hear or feel the liquid moving around inside - this is how you know that the cream is separated from the liquid, which is what you need for whipping.)
- 1 1/2 Tbs raw sugar
- 2 tsp bourbon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
Make the crust:
- In a medium to large food processor, add the flour, ground pecans and salt. Pulse a couple of times to combine. Add the butter. Pulse until the butter resembles small peas. With the machine running, pour the maple syrup and ice water into the tube. Then pulse until the mixture starts to come together into a soft dough. Remove the dough from the processor, put it into your 11" tart pan and use your hands to press and spread the dough to cover the entire pan all the way up the fluted sides, as evenly as possible. Prick the bottom with a fork a few times.
- Pop it in your fridge and preheat your oven to 425 degrees (10-15 minutes). Once the oven is at 425, bake your crust for 8-10 minutes or until it starts to brown slightly. Remove and let cool. Turn oven down to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together all filling ingredients, fill crust and bake 40 - 45 minutes.
Bourbon-Nutmeg Coconut Whip:
- From your two cans of coconut milk, remove 1 1/2 cups of the thick cream that has separated on top. Beat cream of coconut with the remaining ingredients using an electric mixer and serve with your pumpkin tart.
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1/2 Yellow, 1/2 Blue, 2 tsp and 2 tsp of sugar (Tart only, no whip: 1/2 Yellow, 1/4 Blue, 2 tsp and 1 3/4 tsp sugar)
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 8
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 tart slice plus 2 Tbs of Coconut Whip
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 19g
Here’s a big ol’ 21 Day Fix Thanksgiving Round-up that also has some great tips on how to conquer going to someone else’s house on the big day!