This 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Shrimp and Spaghetti Squash Fra Diavolo is quick, easy, and delicious! It’s a great, healthy keep-everything-on-hand meal! Gluten-Free & Dairy Free, too!
Hello lover! Am I the only one that thinks this is a PHAT dish? That’s right. Pretty Hot And Tempting. I dug deep for that one you guys. You’re welcome.
Anyone else remember dudes trying to use “phat” to describe the ladies back in the day? Seriously, who came up with this and how on Earth did they think that was a good idea?
I digress…. my friends, the Instant Pot is at it again making my life and my meals easy freaking breezy. Can I tell you that I LOVE spaghetti squash but haven’t made it in SO long. This is mostly because it just feels like such a pain in the arse. That and I swear I’m afraid I’m going to slice my arm off attempting to cut it in half. It’s really kind of terrifying.
Anyway, they usually take at least an hour in the oven, but not in the Instant Pot! No! You can have this delicious dinner on your table in freaking 30!! The BEST part is all you have to do is poke a few holes in the thing and put it in the pot (with the other ingredients of course), no cutting through that tough skin! So leave the chainsaw in the backyard, you won’t be needing it today, my friend.
Oh wait! I was wrong. That’s not EVEN the best part. The best part is that you can keep every single ingredient on hand SO easily so you can be ready for an amazing last minute meal at any time! To that end, I used shallots here, but absolutely any kind of onion that you have on hand will work. Also, did you know that winter squash will last for months in a cool dry place? So fantastic. Let’s not forget that frozen shrimp is a quick dinner’s best friend. I always keep some in the freezer.
O.M.G. I forgot the actual best part. No yellows for my 21 Day Fixers! That’s right, so have a glass of wine with this meal (a rosé is great!) and a dessert afterwards and indulge without indulging! Need some dessert ideas? Scroll down!
Don’t have an Instant Pot yet? Click here to check it out on Amazon! (affiliate link)
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
Just FYI – this recipe has only been tested in the Instant Pot 6 quart duo – If you have an 8 qt, you may need to add more liquid.
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (great picks: chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio)
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs of spaghetti squash, no need to cut it in half, just stab it a bunch of times all over with a sharp knife (carefully!)
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper for seasoning the shrimp
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish if ya like
- Lightly season both sides of your shrimp with salt and pepper and leave in the fridge until you need it.
- Press the "saute" button on your instant pot to start heating. Add the olive oil and the crushed red pepper flakes and let cook for a minute or so, just long enough for the pepper flakes to flavor the oil. Add in your chopped shallots and cook for a couple of minutes to soften a bit (they don't have to be completely soft, they'll finish cooking later). Add in the minced garlic, cook for one more minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, then stir in the crushed tomatoes. Press the saute button again to turn off the saute function. Add your whole spaghetti squash to the pot. Put your lid on the Instant Pot, making sure that the dial is turned to "sealing". Set to manual for 20 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, turn your dial to "venting" for a quick release. When the pot has depressurized, you can use two forks (you'll be able to just stick them right in each side of the squash) to pull out the spaghetti squash and put it on a cutting board. Cut it in half lengthwise, remove the seeds from the center and discard (unless you want to roast them!) then use your forks to remove the spaghetti-like strands from the shell. I just put them in a big bowl.
- Press the saute button again on your Instant Pot and add the seasoned shrimp to your sauce, stirring until they're opaque and fully cooked. Turn off the saute function (I also like to remove the insert and put it on my stove, otherwise it'll keep cooking the shrimp and you don't want them to get tough from over-cooking).
- Serve the spaghetti squash with the sauce and shrimp and garnish with some chopped parsley if ya like!
21 Day Fix Container Counts per Serving: 1 Red, 2 Green
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 1
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup of cooked squash topped with about 1 cup of the shrimp and sauce mixture (the entirety of the recipe divided by 4).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200 Total Fat: 2g
Save to Pinterest! ⇓
Dessert ideas to complete this amazing dinner that’s perfect for date night!