This 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala is an easy and insanely delicious (and healthy!) make-your-own-take-out dinner! It’s perfect for meal prep and gluten free!
Hey guys!! So I’m crazy excited today because this 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (say that 3 times fast!) is my first official recipe of the year and I just KNOW that you’re going to fall head over heals for it. If you’re trying to eat healthier but don’t want to eat plain baked chicken, I’ve totally got you with this one. Well, and this one, and this one, and this one… you get it. But seriously with this Chicken Tikka Masala, you guys. You NEED to make it asap.
Anyway, I tested this one a zillion times because I wanted it to be perfect. I tested different spice combos, different tomato products, the whole 9. I never tired of it though. I’m convinced that you just can’t tire of this dish. Like maybe this is one of those “if you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life what would it be” kind of things. I could totally do that.
Indian food is life, people. And chicken tikka masala has always been one of my favorite Indian dishes what with all of it’s spicy, aromatic, creamy deliciousness and all.
Oh, and can we talk thighs for a minute? Because I just can’t do chicken breasts in the Instant Pot unless they’re shredded. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve tried every trick in the book and the texture is just freaking weird. Is it just me?
Are Chicken Thighs 21 Day Fix approved?
While chicken thighs aren’t in the 21 Day Fix book, or on any 21DF food list that you’ll find, after doing some research (which you can read in my Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki post if you’re interested), I came to the conclusion that there’s really no reason why we can’t have chicken thighs on the 21 Day Fix, stats wise. I think thighs just get a bad rap, honestly. If you do a good job trimming the fat off of them, they’re perfectly fine to have. Which, btw, is why I always buy boneless, they’re SO much easier to trim!
Some quick notes about this 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala:
- This recipe calls for the thick cream at the top of a can of full fat coconut milk. When I’m shopping for coconut milk, what I like to do is give the can I’m looking at a little shake, if I can feel/hear the coconut milk sloshing around, I keep looking until I find one that doesn’t do that. Then I don’t have to worry about trying to remember to stick it in the fridge the night before to get the cream to set.
- This recipe calls for fresh ginger. Fresh ginger is SO amazing and a key component to this dish. What I usually do is buy a large one, peel it and throw it in the freezer. Then when I need it, all I have to do is pull it out of the freezer and grate the amount that I need using the small side of my box grater. It lasts forever that way!
- This recipe also calls for fresh garlic. I just wanted to share with you my favorite garlic-mincing gadget, because it saves me SO much time and I think you’ll like it. The Garlic Twister (affiliate link).
- You can serve this with some brown rice, or you can do what I prefer and serve it with my Garlic-Cilantro Cauliflower Rice so you can have some whole wheat naan or pita bread with it. SO GOOD!
- Lastly, please don’t let the long ingredient list discourage you. Many of the ingredients are just spices, and many of them are listed twice (because they’re used in both the marinade and the sauce) to avoid confusion. This really is such an easy, delicious meal!
Want to add some other tasty, Indian-inspired dishes to your meal plan? Check out my quick and easy Skinny Saag Chicken, this delish Indian-spiced grilled chicken, and this Cardamom Chia Seed Pudding with Mango. That chia seed pudding makes a great snack OR dessert! And if you’re looking for more Instant Pot meal prep recipes, I’ve got you covered, click here!
I really hope you guys get obsessed with this one like I have!! And I hope you’re having the best start to the new year ever!
Save this 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala to Pinterest! ↓↓
Just FYI – this recipe has only been tested in the Instant Pot 6 quart duo (which you can check out here! <- affiliate link) – If you have an 8 qt, you may need to add more liquid.
If you make this 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala recipe be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! I love watching your stories! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
*21 Day Fix container counts per serving: 1 Red, 1/2 Green, 1/4 blue
** *21 Day Fix Container counts per serving: 1 Red, 1/2 Green, 1/4 Blue
**I've found that once trimmed and cooked, 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs ends up being between 2 and 2 1/2 Red (3/4 cup each) servings of protein.
*** 7 Weight Watchers Freestyle Points
21 Day Fix Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
*21 Day Fix container counts per serving: 1 Red, 1/2 Green, 1/4 blue **
*21 Day Fix Container counts per serving: 1 Red, 1/2 Green, 1/4 Blue **I've found that once trimmed and cooked, 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs ends up being between 2 and 2 1/2 Red (3/4 cup each) servings of protein. *** 7 Weight Watchers Freestyle Points