This 21 Day Fix broccoli cheese soup is a deliciously healthy broccoli cheese soup, made creamy and dreamy with cauliflower instead of cream! Gluten-free, too!
Originally published 11/15/2015, I’ve updated this post to include Instant Pot Directions for a quick, easy and delicious meal that everyone will love! I’ve also added some Q&A’s that you might have, so check ’em out!
Don’t have an Instant Pot yet? Check out the Instant Pot 6 Quart Duo on Amazon! (affiliate link)
If I had to guess, I would say that broccoli cheese is probably America’s second-favorite soup (right underneath the ubiquitous chicken noodle, of course) and it’s definitely my family’s favorite.
I’ve made more than a pot or two of broccoli cheese soup, but I had yet to make any since starting the 21 Day Fix. I’d say it was about time that I addressed this absolutely appalling oversight.
One of the main reasons that this soup was on my mind was because Thanksgiving is right around the corner and each and every year, my grandma makes her broccoli cheese soup (which is grandma-amazing*, btw, but full of heavy cream and other not-so-healthy ingredients) for us to enjoy on Wednesday while we chat and get things ready for the next day.
This is my absolute favorite part of the holiday. Before everything gets crazy and all of the people show up. When it’s just a few of us, doing what we do best with a couple bottles of wine and plenty of laughter and catching up.
There’s just nothing better than having a pot of broccoli cheese soup (and now my healthier version!) on the stove (or in the Instant Pot) so we don’t have to think about what to make when we’re planning, prepping and readying for guests.
Don’t waste your yellows, 21 Day Fix people!
As many of you know, when making creamy soups for the 21 Day Fix, the issue to overcome is the milk and/or cream used as the base, because nobody but nobody wants to waste a yellow (or two!) on a bowl of soup no matter how freaking delicious it is.
Well, of course I went to my favorite all-purpose, makes-everything-better ingredient – cauliflower – to make this soup taste and feel just as creamy and dreamy as the original.
In fact, my husband told me that this recipe tasted exactly the same as the one that I used to make (using half and half!) – not too shabby, plus it’s lower in fat and calories! Boom.
The best part for my 21 Day Fix peeps is, because there are no yellows in here, you can serve this bowl of yum with a great piece of whole wheat bread from the bakery, and isn’t that really what perfection tastes like?
Ooh, here’s a quick list of my fave no-yellow soups that are perfect for dunking some bread in!
- This 21 Day Fix Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Bacon and Beer Cheese Soup
- Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup
I’m not going to lie, this one took me a couple of tries to get just right, but I really think it’s perfect. And if Broccoli Cheese soup is something that you haven’t eaten in a while either, then you are not going to want to miss out on some amazing and healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup!
*Grandma-amazing is a term used to describe a dish that is better than anyone else’s. Period.
Here are some Broccoli Cheese Soup Q&A’s!
How many calories are in Panera Bread’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
For the same serving as this soup, there are 360 calories and 21 grams of fat! That means making this soup saves you 6 grams of fat and over 100 calories!!
Can I make Broccoli Cheese Soup ahead?
Yes! It’ll last 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Can this healthy Broccoli Cheese soup be frozen?
Yep, it freezes beautifully.
Can I double 21 Day Fix Broccoli Cheese Soup?
If you cook it on the stovetop (and have a big enough pot!) you can definitely double or even triple it.
I’ve also tested doubling this in a 6 quart Instant Pot and it fit perfectly!
Can you add meat to broccoli cheese soup?
Yes! I’ve had readers tell me that they’ve added some cooked chicken and loved it!
Can you use frozen veggies to make this healthy Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup?
Can I make it in a slow cooker?
Sure! Ok, so I haven’t actually tested it in a slow cooker yet (it’s on my list!) BUT in checking out some other slow cooker recipes, I think you could skip the sauteeing part (adding your carrots and onions raw), adding the broccoli, cauliflower, broth and salt and cook on low for 4 1/2 hours then follow the remaining Instant Pot directions.
Do I have to add the extra chopped broccoli in at the end?
Nope! That’s completely optional, but it IS my trick to making this soup taste and feel similar to Panera Bread’s. If you want your soup to be completely smooth, just throw in the extra broccoli at the beginning and puree it all. I swear, I won’t even be mad. I love the way Panera Bread (and my grandma!) makes theirs, so I wanted some small pieces of broccoli in mine. Yum 🙂
Is this healthy Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup good for Weight Watchers?
Yes! And only 7 points per serving (which is pretty darn good for a creamy, cheesy soup)!
Where else can I get this incredible flavor combo??
Hope you guys love this one as much as we do!
Looking for more healthy Instant Pot soup recipes? Check out my 15 BEST Instant Pot Soup, Stew and Chili Recipes for the 21 Day Fix!
Needing some easy portion control in your life? Check out the 21 Day Fix on Amazon (affiliate link)
Save this 21 Day Fix Broccoli Cheese Soup to Pinterest! ⇓
If you make this Healthy Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
How to Make Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup with Cauliflower:
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 medium)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (1 (32 oz) box) - or Vegetable broth if you're cooking for a Vegetarian
- 4 cups broccoli, roughly chopped (about 1/2 lb)
- 2 cups cauliflower, roughly chopped (about 6 oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces (about 1/4 lb)
- 1 1/3 cups shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
Instant Pot Directions:
- Turn on the saute function, melt the butter in your pot and cook the onions and carrots in the butter until they start to soften (no need to cook all the way, the IP will do the rest!).
- Next, add the roughly chopped broccoli (DO NOT add the broccoli that you chopped into small pieces yet!), the cauliflower, 1/2 tsp salt and the broth. Put the lid on and set on manual for 3 minutes, quick release when it's finished.
- You can either use an immersion blender to blend everything right in the pot, or blend in batches in a regular blender.
- Add in the finely chopped broccoli, put back on saute mode and cook until the broccoli has softened (should just take a few minutes). Stir in the cheese, add pepper to taste and serve!
Instant Pot note: I was able to do a double batch of this in my 6 qt and it fit perfectly!
Stove Top Directions:
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the onions and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally until they start to soften (they will finish cooking later, so don't worry about trying to make them super soft).
- Next, add the roughly chopped broccoli (DO NOT add the broccoli that you chopped into small pieces yet!), the cauliflower, 1/2 tsp salt and the broth. Cover and simmer until veggies are all VERY soft. You should be able to mash them against the side of the pot with the back of a spoon.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli that's been chopped small in the microwave. I put them in a glass casserole dish with a lid and a couple of tablespoons of water, then cooked until very soft. It took about 5 minutes or so, but all microwaves are different so keep an eye on yours the first time you make this.
- Once veggies from the pot (with the chicken broth) are soft, puree the mixture in the blender in batches until all of the contents of the pot are pureed. Return to pot.
- Heat pot on low heat. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and the cooked finely chopped broccoli until all of the cheese is melted. Add pepper to taste. Serve!
- *Just a little note - this makes a pretty thick soup, that's how my family likes it, but if your family likes it thinner, by all means, add some extra broth until it's the way you want. 🙂
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents: 2 1/2 GREEN, 1 BLUE, 1/2 TSP
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 7
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253 Total Fat: 15g