This delicious, clean-eating 21 Day Fix Barbecue Sauce will have you wondering why you ever bought the stuff!
Let me just say that I hope you guys really love this one, because I worked for it. My family worked for it (well, sort of. They had to eat quite a few BBQ-related meals practically in a row. Oh darn.) It is the product of blood, sweat and tears. Ok, so no blood or tears went into the making of this barbecue sauce, but I did make what felt like a gazillion batches until I felt that it was juuuust right, Goldilocks-style. There probably was some sweat, though. It is summer, people, it’s freaking hot in herrr. Oh, I put the love in it, too, in case you were wondering.
Since I’m keeping this short and sweet, on to our bonus recipe… BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza!
Did you know that the California Pizza Kitchen invented the barbecue chicken pizza? I saw that on TV once (and just now I googled it, ya know, for you). You may remember my love for them from my Apple-Goat Cheese Pizza post. Anyway, I’ve had the Original BBQ Chicken Pizza at CPK and they’re the only place that I know of that puts cilantro on it and it’s RIDICULOUS. Hence, the cilantro. I’m betting that adding some extra veg would be great in this also, but today, I went classic 🙂
The awesome thing about the sauce recipe is that it freezes beautifully! I made a large batch and then froze it in 1/2 cup increments (4 servings). When I want to defrost, I take the frozen sauce out of the plastic bag, put it in a microwave safe dish and set it to defrost, stirring it every once in a while until it’s warm. Instant yum!
If you make this 21 Day Fix Barbecue Sauce, be sure to snap a pic and tag me @thefoodieandthefix or use #thefoodieandthefix on Instagram so I can check it out! It makes me ridiculously happy to see what you guys are making 🙂
21 Day Fix Barbecue Sauce:
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs molasses
- 1 Tbs raw sugar
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins has all clean ingredients and you can get it pretty much anywhere)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- a pinch of salt
- black pepper, to taste
For the BBQ Chicken Pizza:
- 1 whole wheat pita
- 2 Tbs 21 Day Fix Barbecue Sauce
- 3/4 cup cooked, diced chicken breast
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese (I used half Monterey jack, half sharp cheddar)
- 3 Tbs red onion, sliced or chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (or whole if you have small leaves)
To make the barbecue sauce:
- Heat all ingredients together in a small pot over medium heat and bring to a bubble. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary. Let bubble, giving it a stir every minute or two, for about five minutes. That's it!
Barbecue Chicken Pita Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a pita on a baking sheet (no cooking spray is necessary), spread 2 Tbs of BBQ sauce on it. Top with the cooked chicken, then the cheese, then the red onions. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Pull it out of the oven, sprinkle with the cilantro and talk yourself out of making another one. YUM!!
Container Equivalents: Sauce: 1 1/2 sweetener teaspoons; Pizza: 1 YELLOW, 1 RED, 1 BLUE, 1 1/2 sweetener tsp
Save this 21 Day Fix Barbecue Sauce to Pinterest! ↓